Clemente --

...and then Clemente said...
%
% Hi,

Hi!

% Thanks a lot for all those replies! It seems like my hosting company is using the
cheapest and/or easiest way to make a full, consistent backup. And I guess the

Happy to help.  Yes, it sounds like they're taking the easy way out.

% ideal method from those mentioned is to have a slave server you can take down for
backup.

I'd say that's the best way to go, too.

% The question is then whether such backup is necessary on a daily basis (I get a
daily mysqldump for my records anyway without sysadmin intervention), and also how to

You know, if you have a mysqldump on a disk that's backed up anyway then
you have a backup and shouldn't have to worry about any downtime :-)

% find this kind of detailed technical information from hosting companies to be able
to choose one with a good quality/price ratio.

I don't know of a formula, but I'd ask things like

  - how is my host backed up?
  - how is my database backed up?
  - will there be any regular downtime?
  - what is your uptime guarantee?
  - how is that uptime calculated?

as well as some questions close to my heart like

  - do you have redundant networking to my machine, both to handle a
    failed switch and a backhoe accident?
  - do you store your tapes in a disaster-proof facility?
  - what is your expected restore time for a file or db table on my
    machine?
  - what is your expected recovery time for a complete disaster on my
    machine?

and go from there; if any of the answers don't sound right, then ask more
questions about that topic.

% Any opinions on either?

I have the best quality/price ratio, of course.  [Oops; I did it again.]

% Thanks.

HTH & HAND

mysql query,
:-D
- --
(play) [EMAIL PROTECTED] * society and not sufficient moral courage.
(work) [EMAIL PROTECTED]  -- Mary Baker Eddy, "Science and Health"