Clemente --

...and then Clemente said...
%
% Hi there,

Hi!

% My hosting company tells me that they need to take down the MySQL server
% every day for 30 to 60 minutes to make a backup. This is the quote:
% "Please note that mysql is shutdown daily sometime between 3am and 9 am
% US eastern for 30 minutes to an hour. This is get a good backup of all
% mysql databases on the server during the daily backup process."

Hmmm...  Speaking as a SysAdmin, that looks like a cover-all-bases
general announcement.  At the very least you should be able to predict
exactly when your host will be unavailable; a 6-hour window is too wide.
The same may be the case for the mysql downtime; you may in fact only be
down for a few minutes if at all.

I would check with your support and get specifics on how, when, for how
long, and why any part of your server will be unavailable.

%
% Is this normal? This implies that my dynamic generated web site is down
% during a 2.1% to a 4.2% of the time (not counting any other server down
% time). I hear that normal down times for web sites are more like 1% or
% less.

Indeed.  If your provider is going to take down your web site on a daily
basis, you may need to find another provider.  While I applaud their
dedication to detail and commitment to stability, it doesn't seem to
serve the customer too well overall!

<shameless_plug>We do hot backups of mysql with no down time.  Drop me a
note if you'd like more info on how to switch to us.</shameless_plug>

% Is this really necessary? Does MySQL requires to be shutdown to generate
% a good backup?

No, it doesn't; one can use mysqlhotcopy, a filesystem copy, a slave
server, or backup software smart enough to quickly lock things as it
reads a table -- just to name a few of the *many* possibilities and
permutations thereof.

% Any comments are welcome. Thanks a lot.
%
% --
%
% Clemente Zamora
% GlobalReservas
% (http://www.clementezamora.com)

HTH & HAND

mysql query,
:-D
- --
(play) [EMAIL PROTECTED] * society and not sufficient moral courage.
(work) [EMAIL PROTECTED]  -- Mary Baker Eddy, "Science and Health"