In the last episode (Jan 28), Jesse Sheidlower said:
> I've been trying to install MySQL 4.0.9 on FreeBSD 4.7, and
> have been getting stuck in the configure phase. I'd be
> grateful for any suggestions.
>
> I modified Jeremy's command to eliminate some of the obvious
> things I didn't need, and started with:
>
> CFLAGS='-O -pipe -march=pentiumpro -D__USE_UNIX98                \
> -D_REENTRANT -D_THREAD_SAFE -DHAVE_BROKEN_REALPATH               \
> -I/usr/local/include/pthread/linuxthreads' CXX=cc                \
> CC=cc CXXFLAGS='-O -pipe -march=pentiumpro                       \
> -D__USE_UNIX98 -D_REENTRANT -D_THREAD_SAFE                       \
> -DHAVE_BROKEN_REALPATH -I/usr/local/include/pthread/linuxthreads \
> -felide-constructors -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions' ./configure      \
> --with-mit-threads=no                  \
> --enable-assembler                       \
> '--with-named-thread-libs=-DHAVE_GLIBC2_STYLE_GETHOSTBYNAME_R    \
> -D_THREAD_SAFE -DHAVE_BROKEN_REALPATH                            \
> -I/usr/local/include/pthread/linuxthreads -L/usr/local/lib       \
> -llthread -llgcc_r' --enable-thread-safe-client \
> --with-libwrap --with-raid
>
> This dies relatively early with:
>
> checking for C compiler default output... configure: error: C compiler cannot create
>executables

Configure errors almost always log more info in config.log.  You'll see
something like this:

configure:2015: checking for C compiler default output
configure:2018: gcc    conftest.c  >&5
[errors errors errors]
configure:2021: $? = 1
configure: failed program was:
[test program]
configure:2054: result: no

Find the matching lines in your config.log and let us see them.

> checking size of char... configure: error: cannot compute sizeof (char), 77

Same here

--
        Dan Nelson
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]