> Try this, this is what I used (I didn't need things like innodb, but
> needed static linkings):
>
> king as jdisher# more foo
> CFLAGS="-O3 -pipe -mcpu=pentiumpro -D__USE_UNIX98 -D_REENTRANT
> -D_THREAD_SAFE -DHAVE_BROKEN_REALPATH -I/usr/local/include/pthread/li
> nuxthreads" CXXFLAGS="-O3 -pipe -mcpu=pentiumpro -D__USE_UNIX98

[..-]

-O3 on a production server? Mmmm... not good. gcc 2.95 is sometimes buggy, I
suggest to use -O alone.
Static linking is ok, it really increased performace of 15% on my FreeBSD
servers.

> FYI, that successfully built 3.23.54 -AND- 4.0.9 with linuxthreads on
> FreeBSD 5-RELEASE.  I'm still testing, however, as I'm not overly
> impressed with the performance increase (MySQL 3.23.54 on a single Athlon
> MP2200+ performs a job of ours faster than a dual Athlon MP2200+ (same
> hardware, SMP vs NonSMP kernel)).  I dunno.

I don't see any reason to use LinuxThreads. What kind of advantages they
have? I neved had performance problems on heavy-used databases (7 mil
records, 50 tps) on FreeBSD 4.6.

Gianluca Sordiglioni
DB Manager
Vox2Web Srl - Italy