Hello,
Can anyone tell me if MySQL will work on Windows XP Home Ed.?
I have MySQL installed according to the instructions on the CreateASite web page.

I tried contacted CreateASite with this description of the problem:

"The start up looks good: when I use the Run function C:\mysql\bin\mysqld-shareware.exe, the black DOS box comes and goes, but I'm getting this error when using the MySQL test script (See below):
Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: Can't connect to MySQL server on 'localhost' (10061) in c:\usr\htdocs\mysql_test.php on line 7
Couldn't Connect
I have followed the instructions for installing IndigoPerl, CreateASite, PHP, and for MySQL on www.createafreewebsite.net/mysql.html.
Apache was running well at the time, and the perl and php test scripts were A-OK.
Should MySQL show in WindowsXP task manager? I can only see 2 Apache.exe' s and HTMel30.exe. There's no C:\mysql\bin\mysqld-shareware.exe listed. "

CreateASite response was:

"I worked with a guy from Germany for 2 days trying to get the mysql package you are using to work on XP. No luck. I should probably put that on the site.
I'm not saying you can't get the present package to work. Just saying I didn't on XP. "

Has anyone in this discussion group had success getting MySQL to work on Windows XP?

Thanks!

MB

MySQL test script:

<head>
<title>MySQL Test</title>
</head>
<?
$link = mysql_connect("localhost");
if (! $link)
die ("Couldn't Connect");
$db_res = mysql_list_dbs($link);
$num = mysql_num_rows($db_res);
for($x=0;$x < $num; $x++)
print mysql_tablename( $db_res,$x)."<br>";
mysql_close($link);
?>