At 10:55 +0100 2/7/03, Stefan Hinz wrote:
Marg,

MB> "The start up looks good: when I use the Run function
MB> C:\mysql\bin\mysqld-shareware.exe, the black DOS box comes and goes, but
MB> I'm getting this error when using the  MySQL test script (See below):

I didn't know MySQL was shareware, well ...
Used to be, a long time ago.  I wouldn't be surprised if the problem is
due to running a really old server.  An upgrade to the current version
(using Stefan's instructions below) may solve the problem nicely.

 The problem you describe
is caused by mysqld (the MySQL server) not running. If it's not
running, you can't connect to it, of course.

MB> Has anyone in this discussion group had success getting MySQL to work on
MB> Windows XP?

No problem at all. I suggest you get the MySQL distribution from the
MySQL web site (http://mysql.com), and install it under c:\mysql (this
is the setup default). After installation (this is all done by simply
clicking setup.exe, but make sure you have the appropriate privileges
under XP), cd to c:\mysql\bin (Win Explorer or DOS windows, as you
like) and start winmysqladmin.exe. This will place a traffic light
icon in the system tray. Clicking this, you can choose "WinNT >
Install the service", and then "WinNT > Start the service". This will
set up a service named "Mysql" that starts automatically at system
start.

To test if mysqld is up and running, cd to c:\mysql\bin and start
mysql.exe. This should give you a prompt "mysql> ". If the DOS window
keeps disappearing, it means your mysqld is still not running. In this
case, you should cd in a DOS window to c:\mysql\bin and issue:

mysqld --console --standalone

This will show you any errors that occur during mysqld start so you
can find out what the problem is.

Regards,
--
  Stefan Hinz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>