To start it...

open a command prompt, do this by...

Start -> Run -> cmd.exe
 then
cd c:\mysql\bin
mysql-nt.exe
this has started a mysql db engine.
the command prompt will not return.

to install it as a service instead do the following instead of the above
Start -> Run -> cmd.exe
 then
cd c:\mysql\bin
mysql-nt.exe --install
net start mysql

in either case you now have to open a console window. do the following.
Start -> Run -> cmd.exe
 then
cd c:\mysql\bin
then type
mysql.exe

this will open a console window for you to control the mysql db engine

HTH Rich

>>  Does it (mysqld-shareware.exe) show up in the task managers listed
 >>  processes?

 >>  If not, it is not running (which is what I suspect).  Through my
 >>  experience with it, the DOS box does not close.

 >>  Try opening a DOS box and starting it (type 'cmd' in the run box) and
 >>  see what error comes up.

 >>  If you are still stumped there, write again and include the error
 >>  message and the c:\windows\my.ini and-or c:\my.cnf settings.

 >>  --
 >>  Loren McDonald
 >>  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Regards,

Richard Morton
Quantum Communications
+44 (0) 7899 750400

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
www.quantum-comms.com

This email, its content and any attachments is PRIVATE AND CONFIDENTIAL to
Quantum Communications and is intended for the recipient(s) named above only.
If received in error please notify the sender and destroy the original
message and attachments. Emails may be monitored or recorded. It is the
responsibility of the recipient to ensure that the e-mail and/or any
attachment is virus free. The views expressed by the author may not reflect
the views of Quantum Communications Limited.