> On Thu, Feb 13, 2003 at 03:52:18PM -0800, Steve Edberg wrote:
> > >That means no field exists or should exist in the
> database. I only want to
> > >generate at query time.
> > >I can't use an autoincrement field since that wont work
> very well with
> > >results that are returned out of order and maybe not with
> all the data.
> > >
> > >Using variables is the best response to my question. I
> just dislike using
> > >them cause they are ugly to work with because of the
> session persistance
> > >and because I have to issue multiple queries to do the job.
>
> If the value isn't being used to even select a row, why not
> wrap the lines
> with <OL>...results...</OL> or perhaps just use PHP/Perl/? to
> do an $i++ for
> display?
>
> Why put this in the query at all, if it has nothing to do
> with the data?

I didn't say it had nothing to do with the data, I said it had nothing to do with the
data in the database.
The data in the recordset returned from the database referenced by row is important.

As I said, sure I could make external functions to do the job. But why? (I did because
I have no choice at the moment)

1. There are a lot of functions that return values that have nothing to do with data
contained in the database. Math functions for one, they calculate return values using
data that is in the database. And many many other functions. Why not one more.
In the 4.x series the developers implemented SQL_CALC_FOUND_ROWS and FOUND_ROWS(),
something that could just have easily been handled by external programming...

2. There is a use for it. since...

3. Going through the archives, I have seen many many people ask for it.

4. Those numbers probably already exist, how else does it ORDER BY, it has to put the
results in an array of some kind