RBE,

> I just got a copy of MySql and am trying both SqlGui and MySqlcc.  In
> desperation, I also tried the command line.  When I finally got it
> started, it fails to connect, refuses every password and I find I am
> unable to set a user and a password.

It bit more information could help to track down the problem:

1) Which MySQL version do you use?
2) Which OS?
3) Do you connect via localhost, i.e. are your clients running on the
same machine as your MySQL server?
4) How exactly are you tring to connect (mysql -hlocalhost -uuser
-psecret)?

Regards,
--
  Stefan Hinz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>