On Saturday 15 February 2003 3:03 pm, Stefan Hinz wrote:
> RBE,
>
> >> Sorry, but this doesn't answer my question. You said you used
> >> MySQL Monitor (the command line tool) when trying to connect to
> >> the server. When you started MySQL Monitor, how did you do that?
> >> Did you just double-click mysql (the MySQL Monitor) in some
> >> graphical file manager tool, or did you cd to the directory where
> >> mysql is sitting, and then type "mysql"?
> >
> > I put a desktop icon link to the directory where mysqlcc was
> > located and it asks for a "connection".  When I click on the
> > connection, I am asked for a user and password, but no password or
> > user combination works.
> >
> > I've also done the command line option "mysql -urbe -p<password>
> > but the connection is refused with error 2002.
>
> Error 2002, strange. When the MySQL server is down, you should get
> error 2003, but maybe that's different with MySQLCC.
>
> To track down the problem, try as follows:
>
> 1) Make sure the MySQL server is running. Do something like "ps xa |
> grep mysqld". If it's not running, try to start it like this:
> "mysqld". This should report errors on startup, telling you where the
> problem lies.

mysqld is running.

> 2) If the problem reported says something about "host.frm missing",
> you forgot the post-installation duties, i.e. to set up the grant
> tables. Here's how you do that:
> http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Post-installation.html

No reported problem.

> 3) If it's running, you have a privilege problem. If your MySQL
> installation is new, you'll have just some basic users set up. One of
> them is called "root", who can connect from localhost without
> password. Thus, try this: "mysql -uroot".

"mysql -uroot" gives me the following error message:
"ERROR 2002: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
'/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock'  (2)"

- --
Robert Black Eagle (DS)
Get my key from http://www.keyserver.net/en
Trying to copyright bits is like trying to make water dry.
But politicians try, anyway.