RBE,

>> 4) How exactly are you tring to connect (mysql -hlocalhost -uuser
>> -psecret)?

> One of the problems is that I was not only not able to enter a
> password, but cannot seem to get one entered.  I get error 2002 with
> that or almost any other entry.  So far, following the suggestions
> given me in the manual doesn't seem to fix anything.

Sorry, but this doesn't answer my question. You said you used MySQL
Monitor (the command line tool) when trying to connect to the server.
When you started MySQL Monitor, how did you do that? Did you just
double-click mysql (the MySQL Monitor) in some graphical file manager
tool, or did you cd to the directory where mysql is sitting, and then
type "mysql"?

To make this more clear. Under Windows, I do the following on the
command line:

C:\> cd mysql\bin

C:\mysql\bin> mysql -usuperuser -p
Enter password: ********
Your MySQL connection id is 1 to server version: 4.0.10-gamma-max-nt-log

mysql>

Now I'm connected to the server, and I can issue SQL statements.

Regards,
--
  Stefan Hinz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  iConnect GmbH <http://iConnect.de>