Thanks for the comments Steve

I am using MySLQ 3.23.53 on XP.  I can try the current version and see
what happens.

As an example, I can make a backup with mysqldump, flush the logs, return
to my app and add an item to the database that contains an attachment that
might be an mp3 or bmp stored in a blob column.  If I restore the database
from the dump (no problem here) and then try mysqlbinlog logfile-bin.xxx |
mysql -uuser -psomepass I will get sql syntax errors for the INSERT of the
blob column.  But not if the attachment was a text file, only things like
a *.bmp, or *.mp3.  Have you restored this type of data before?

An interesting thing is that mysqldump handles this data with no problem -
it will do the very same files without complaining, while the logs will
fail.

The data is coming in originally through JDBC using the MySQL driver.

Rick Arthur
Knexa.com Enterprises Inc.
519.747.1139 x 109