Hi Heikki,
    Thanks for picking up on this again.  After the help from
you and Mark last week,  we removed ALL instances of the
lock tables from our application. We used the idea Mark
provided for getting our next sequence number without using
any locks. In the past this was the only thing we where  using
table locks for.
     In this application we are not even doing anything with
begin/end transaction, we are totally dependent on each SQL
statement standing on its own.  We do use a connection pool
and have modified our code to always set the autocommitt
level = 1 before handing any connections out of the pool.
    Do you think  we are missing some basic setting in our
MySql.ini file ?
    Again the thing which  makes this so hard to debug is it is
intermittent and only in production, and  not always on the
same table or SQL statement.  :(
     Do you know of any log files we can run which will only
log errors or exceptions? This might limit the volume of the
logs to something  manageable and still let us see what
connection has the error.
     Alternatively do you know what state the MySql
connection thinks it is in, in order for it to want to through this
kind of error? Can we test for the state from within our code ?

Thanks again for your patience and assistance. I really want to
be able to make MySql work for this application.
Thanks
Steff
Steff, > We have our connection set to Autocommitt=1, and
No table locks > are ever explicitly being done on this table
anyplace in any of our > code modules. in MySQL you have to
do LOCK TABLES on EVERY table you use inside a LOCK
TABLES. You cannot lock just some table and use others
unlocked. I repeat that the error could be caused if your
application has a bug and uses the same connection to do the
SELECT as it has used to LOCK some other table. Are you
absolutely sure you do not mix connections in your
application? Did you have the general query log running at the
time of the error? If yes, can you check from it what was the
number of the connection that issued the query resulting in an
error, and did that same connection earlier issue a LOCK
TABLES? Regards, Heikki Innobase Oy sql query

--
Steff McGonagle
Envisage Information Systems, Inc.

Phone (315) 497-9202 x16