Hello listers,

In mysql, is it possible imbed a conditional CASE statement within a SUM()
function to effect how the SUM() returns the final value for a set of rows?

For example, if I have a table "foo" with column "score", and "score" has
the rows with the values 1 to 10, can I write the SUM() in such a way to
double the value of the number 7 for example to the final sum? Ie when the
SUM() function encounters the number 7, add (score*2) instead of just score
to the final total.

Something like:

SUM(CASE WHEN score = 7 THEN score*2 ELSE score END) AS final_sum

(Of course this doesn't seem to work, but it's the best I can approximate)

Any help, much much appreciated.

Best,

Peter D Bethke