That's also right:

 select sum( case 1 when score=7 then score  *  2  else  score  end) from "foo";

[EMAIL PROTECTED] on 03/07/2003
11:28:03 AM

To:   Peter D Bethke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, MySQL List
      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
cc:    (bcc: David P. Giragosian/MDACC)

Subject:  Re: CASE statement within SUM()

At 11:29 -0500 3/7/03, Peter D Bethke wrote:
>Hello listers,
>
>In mysql, is it possible imbed a conditional CASE statement within a SUM()
>function to effect how the SUM() returns the final value for a set of rows?
>
>For example, if I have a table "foo" with column "score", and "score" has
>the rows with the values 1 to 10, can I write the SUM() in such a way to
>double the value of the number 7 for example to the final sum? Ie when the
>SUM() function encounters the number 7, add (score*2) instead of just score
>to the final total.
>
>Something like:
>
>SUM(CASE WHEN score = 7 THEN score*2 ELSE score END) AS final_sum
>
>(Of course this doesn't seem to work, but it's the best I can approximate)

There's no reason it shouldn't work.  What was the exact query you used,
and what was the result? What error message, for example.