At 11:29 -0500 3/7/03, Peter D Bethke wrote:
Hello listers,

In mysql, is it possible imbed a conditional CASE statement within a SUM()
function to effect how the SUM() returns the final value for a set of rows?

For example, if I have a table "foo" with column "score", and "score" has
the rows with the values 1 to 10, can I write the SUM() in such a way to
double the value of the number 7 for example to the final sum? Ie when the
SUM() function encounters the number 7, add (score*2) instead of just score
to the final total.

Something like:

SUM(CASE WHEN score = 7 THEN score*2 ELSE score END) AS final_sum

(Of course this doesn't seem to work, but it's the best I can approximate)

There's no reason it shouldn't work. What was the exact query you used, and what was the result? What error message, for example.

Any help, much much appreciated.

Best,

Peter D Bethke