Jeff-

Actually, thsee sound like the binary log files used primarily for
replication.  If you're on host doctorpants, they'll be
doctorpants-bin.001
doctorpants-bin.002
doctorpants-bin.index
and so forth.  If you don't want a write query log and aren't doing
transactions, remove the binlog option from my.cnf and do a
mysql> RESET MASTER;
to remove the files.  They contain none of your data, just what it took
to get there.  You can use mysqlbinlog to translate them to SQL files.

-jeff