It looks to me like you have a permissions problem with your directories. You need to make sure that the directory own for the mysql directory tree is your mysql user.

You can't use the Users section of Systems Preferences to create the MySQL user, you have to use the NetInfo utility. Apple as instructions on how to install MySQL on OS X at:
http://developer.apple.com/internet/macosx/osdb.html

Hmmm, just checked Marc Liyanage's site and for pre-Jaguar he does mention to use System Preferences to create the MySQL user. He also only suggests to use 3.23.51 with pre-Jaguar as well. I'm not what the differences might be between the .51 and .55 for him to make this suggestion. I did try using his setup, but I gave up and went with the tarball files from MySQL instead. I didn't like all the nonstandard stuff that his system did. (At least I think it does some nonstandard stuff, it's been a while).

I just checked your error code with:
[~] [0] > perror 13
Error code  13:  Permission denied

So it definitely looks like it's a permissions problem.

Try using this command in the Terminal program:

chown -R mysql /usr/local/mysql-3.23.51/