I am having difficulty stopping and starting my mysql server. The mysqld is
currently running as all of the client machines can access the database. If
I try to invoke the mysql command from the server box (linux 7.2) I get the
following -

error: 'Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock'
(2'
Check that mysqld is running and that the socket: '/tmp/mysql.sock' exists!

The mysql.sock does not exists int /tmp directory and I am attempting to
restart the server to create this. When I run mysqld restart it fails to
stop and start. I think the server was last started with the safe_mysqld &
command.  I use the /tmp directory to hold files created by cron jobs and
this directory is periodically cleared out. This is obviously a problem as
the mysql.sock currently needs to be in here. I have since changed the
my.cnf file to read -
[mysqld]
datadir=/var/lib/mysql
socket=/usr/local/bin/mysql.sock

thus changing the directory for mysql.sock to resolve the above issue but I
can't restart the server to get the mysql.sock recreated. Any ideas?

This e-mail is intended for the recipient only and
may contain confidential information. If you are
not the intended recipient then you should reply
to the sender and take no further ation based
upon the content of the message.
Internet e-mails are not necessarily secure and
CCM Limited does not accept any responsibility
for changes made to this message.
Although checks have been made to ensure this
message and any attchments are free from viruses
the recipient should ensure that this is the case.