How many documents?  What format are they in?  Does this require just text
searching or is there fielded data, too?  How many users would search
simultaneously?

There are various search engine vendors, including Google itself.  The
leader is Verity.  Autonomy is probably its top current competitor.  But
since you've posted here, are you considering MySQL?  It doesn't have a
particularly rich query language for text, and it's up to you to get them
into the database in a usable form.

Nick