I'm experienced with SQL, but new to MySql and PHP, which I'm using together to create a dynamic web site. Right now, I'm having minor difficulties with date formatting. It seems that when I retrieve a date from MySQL into PHP, it shows up as a string instead of a date data type, with format YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS. Is there any way that I can get it returned as a PHP date instead? Also, exactly what is it that controls the output format of the date as a string? Is PHP somehow requesting that MySql return the date as a string, or is it getting a date from MySql and then converting it to a string on the PHP side?

What's the best way of controlling date format? Obviously, I could use string operators to extract the year, month, and day and do whatever I want to with them, but that's sensitive to how PHP and/or MySql are configured, I assume; it would be better for me to request the date in a specific form (ideally one taken from operating system preferences).

Thanks!
Bruce Feist