# [EMAIL PROTECTED] / 2003-03-28 21:47:28 -0500:
> I'm experienced with SQL, but new to MySql and PHP, which I'm using
> together to create a dynamic web site.  Right now, I'm having minor
> difficulties with date formatting.  It seems that when I retrieve a date
> from MySQL into PHP, it shows up as a string instead of a date data
> type, with format YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS.  Is there any way that I can get
> it returned as a PHP date instead?  Also, exactly what is it that
> controls the output format of the date as a string?  Is PHP somehow
> requesting that MySql return the date as a string, or is it getting a
> date from MySql and then converting it to a string on the PHP side?
>
> What's the best way of controlling date format?  Obviously, I could use
> string operators to extract the year, month, and day and do whatever I
> want to with them, but that's sensitive to how PHP and/or MySql are
> configured, I assume; it would be better for me to request the date in a
> specific form (ideally one taken from operating system preferences).

    PHP returns all values from MySQL as strings; IOW, if you have an
    int column, fetching -10 from it will yield "-10".

    The reason you get the datetime in the format you get has nothing to
    do with PHP. Check the MySQL manual.

    BTW, there's no such thing as "PHP date".