u can use highly customizabe MySQL DATE_FORMAT() function for retrieving
date in desired format.  Relevant portion from manual is reprodcued below
inside quotes.

For manipulating date in php, u can use the MySQL UNIX_TIMESTAMP(date)
function to return unix timestamp of the date and use the php date functions
like date(), getdate() etc. on it.

What do you mean by php date?  The manual says that PHP supports eight
primitive types i.e.:
Four scalar types: boolean, integer, floating-point number (float), string
Two compound types: array, object
And finally two special types: resource, NULL

-------------------quote
DATE_FORMAT(date,format)

Formats the date value according to the format string. The following
specifiers may be used in the format string:
Specifier       Description
%M      Month name (January..December)
%W      Weekday name (Sunday..Saturday)
%D      Day of the month with English suffix (1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc.)
%Y      Year, numeric, 4 digits
%y      Year, numeric, 2 digits
%X      Year for the week where Sunday is the first day of the week, numeric, 4
digits, used with '%V'
%x      Year for the week, where Monday is the first day of the week, numeric, 4
digits, used with '%v'
%a      Abbreviated weekday name (Sun..Sat)
%d      Day of the month, numeric (00..31)
%e      Day of the month, numeric (0..31)
%m      Month, numeric (01..12)
%c      Month, numeric (1..12)
%b      Abbreviated month name (Jan..Dec)
%j      Day of year (001..366)
%H      Hour (00..23)
%k      Hour (0..23)
%h      Hour (01..12)
%I      Hour (01..12)
%l      Hour (1..12)
%i      Minutes, numeric (00..59)
%r      Time, 12-hour (hh:mm:ss [AP]M)
%T      Time, 24-hour (hh:mm:ss)
%S      Seconds (00..59)
%s      Seconds (00..59)
%p      AM or PM
%w      Day of the week (0=Sunday..6=Saturday)
%U      Week (0..53), where Sunday is the first day of the week
%u      Week (0..53), where Monday is the first day of the week
%V      Week (1..53), where Sunday is the first day of the week. Used with '%X'
%v      Week (1..53), where Monday is the first day of the week. Used with '%x'
%%      A literal %.
All other characters are just copied to the result without interpretation:

mysql> select DATE_FORMAT('1997-10-04 22:23:00', '%W %M %Y');
        -> 'Saturday October 1997'
mysql> select DATE_FORMAT('1997-10-04 22:23:00', '%H:%i:%s');
        -> '22:23:00'
mysql> select DATE_FORMAT('1997-10-04 22:23:00',
                          '%D %y %a %d %m %b %j');
        -> '4th 97 Sat 04 10 Oct 277'
mysql> select DATE_FORMAT('1997-10-04 22:23:00',
                          '%H %k %I %r %T %S %w');
        -> '22 22 10 10:23:00 PM 22:23:00 00 6'
mysql> select DATE_FORMAT('1999-01-01', '%X %V');
        -> '1998 52'

As of MySQL Version 3.23, the % character is required before format
specifier characters.  In earlier versions of MySQL, % was optional.

TIME_FORMAT(time,format)

This is used like the DATE_FORMAT() function above, but the format string
may contain only those format specifiers that handle hours, minutes, and
seconds.  Other specifiers produce a NULL value or 0.

regards,