Those are binary log files used in replication.
If you are not running replication, remove the line
bin-log
from the config file.

Tiele Declercq wrote:

Hey guys,

Ii could not find an answer on the innodb website, i'm using InnoDB now for some months and i'm very happy since the constant corruptions i had in MyISAM are gone now. Although i have been warned that InnoDB would take up more diskspace i did not suspect gigabytes.

When first installed i've set up my DB file at 300MB, hold in mind that the database is quiet large... some tables hold over 2.000.000 records (for statistics). I soon realized this would have to be a bit bigger so i've set this to 2G's. Did this because i saw some binary files in my MySQL dir... myname-bin.001, 002, 003,..... up to 30 for now. Sometimes 2 each day sometimes none for a few days... Biggest so far is 1G... there are 4 of those. Total size of those binary files is 7.5G's and i have NO idea what those files do. I think i've read the complete manual but could find anything about these files. It can't be log files coz that's ib_logfile0 & 1, each set at 150MB).

My total disk space is 40Gb... so it's enough to hold it for now but i WILL run out of space in a couple of months at this rate. Can i safely remove these files ? I'm pulling backups of my database each day so if something goes wrong i can easily restore it.

So the currect db file is 2GB big and i have over 1GB free... so it's NOT the ibdata file that takes up diskspace but the hostname-bin.xxx files are bugging me.

Best Regards,

Tiele Declercq
---
Projectleider Start.be