Harald,

if your server does not crash, then the database probably is not corrupt.
But having wrong log sequence numbers can make it corrupt. What is the error
message in your case?

4.0.15 contains the check, I think 4.0.14 did not.

I am wondering if there could be some bug in InnoDB which lowers the log
sequence number under some condition? Or is it that people often switch old
log files to their database?

I may need to add another check to InnoDB which looks that the lsn stamped
in the ibdata files is not ahead of the lsn in ib_logfiles. That will in
most cases warn you if you put wrong log files to your database.

It is very important to understand that the ib_logfiles are an integral part
of the database, just like the ibdata files. One should not change log
files, except through the procedure explained at
http://www.innodb.com/ibman.html#Adding_and_removing.

Best regards,

Heikki
Innobase Oy
http://www.innodb.com
InnoDB - transactions, row level locking, and foreign keys for MySQL
InnoDB Hot Backup - a hot backup tool for MySQL
Order MySQL support from http://www.mysql.com/support/index.html