** ORIGINAL MESSAGE FROM:Jeremy Zawodny <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>**
** ORIGINAL MESSAGE SENT:Tue Apr 01 13:15:00 **
** ORIGINAL MESSAGE BELOW **
>>re: On Tue Apr 01 2003 at 01:04:59PM -0800 Steven Nakhla wrote:
>>
>> Are there currently any open-source mail servers that utilize
MySQL?

>Jeremey wrote:
>Yes many.
>
> Steven wrote:
>> I know that there are some that will authenticate against accounts
>> stored in a MySQL database but I am looking for a mail server that
>> actually stores the messages in the database.
>
>Jeremey wrote:
>Why exactly?
>
>Jeremy

Well, I can answer the "why", and say I built myself a web-based email
 application (Java/Tomcat/MySQL/Linux) so that my email would be
centralized.  I found myself working on and using one of about 6
computers each week, and my email was getting spread out over the
machines.  I wasn't interested in using a Yahoo/Hotmail type account,
as dealing with all the banners and flashing lights didn't attract me.
  So I decided to roll my own.

Now my email is stored on and handled through one server, in a MySQL
database.  I can search the heck out of it, and needless to say,
access it anywhere.  I'm now considering a java GUI app to manage my
mail (access via RMI perhaps), so having it in the database is very
convenient.

I suppose other people have their reasons for storing email in a
database....anyone?

Rob Mazur
-