Todd,

> At startup, the computer says something about starting a MySQL server.
> Could it be that the startup item is still trying to start mysqld even
> though it no longer exists and in the process is tying up port 3306?

Comparing it to Windows (I've not enough money to run an Apple ;-) you
should be able to have a symbolic link that tries to start something
that doesn't exist anymore.

> (I'm grasping at straws here. I tried manually installing the latest
> 3.0 version and when I tried to run safe_mysqld it said that
> libexec/mysqld did not exist, and, sure enough, there wasn't even a
> libexec directory.)

You could try and start the server directly. like that:

usr/bin/mysql> mysqld &

This should start the MySQL server. If an error occurs during startup,
you can check the error log to see what's the problem. The error log
is called hostname.err (where hostname is the name of your machine),
and it's located in your MySQL data directory (e.g.
/var/lib/mysql/data/).

I hope this will help you track down your problem, and hopefully solve
it.

Regards,
--
  Stefan Hinz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>