Haven’t been following your thread, but I thought I'd make a stupid
suggestion ...

> At startup, the computer says something about starting a MySQL server.
> Could it be that the startup item is still trying to start mysqld even
> though it no longer exists and in the process is tying up port 3306?

Have you stretched your terminal window as wide as your screen and tried
things like the following? (I assume you're working from an account that
has administrator privileges. When prompted for a password, give it the
password of the user you're logged on as, not the root password.)

    sudo top

or

    sudo ps -al

and also

    sudo find / -name "mysql*" -print

(You can enable root login and su to root and just run the commands top,
ps, and find without going through sudo, but why enable root login?)

By sudo-ing to root, you are able to watch all processes, and you are
also able to go hunting through all directories. If mysqld exists, the
find will find it.

top will show you the busiest processes, as many as fit in your terminal
window. You might want to open up another terminal window and leave top
running there.

ps shows a list of all processes, and some information on resources
associated with them. Unfortunately, it doesn't show which ports are
being used by which processes. (At least, I don't remember it doing so.)

Use the man command to read more about the above five commands if you
need to.

If the above don't show you what's going on, your next step might be to
try sniffing port 3306.

--
Joel Rees <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>