try:
mysql -u root -p
then it will ask for your password.
or
mysql -u root -pmysql_root_password
no spaces between -p and your mysql root password

This is well documentee :http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/User_names.html
please check the manual before asking questions.

B.

At 12:50 06-04-2003 +0100, Hisako Shimizu wrote:
Dear sir/madam

Please tolerate my poor English.
I had been using mysql for a while without any problems.
And one day Error occuered ,I could not access it anymore.
My password which I had been using has been declined and i have this
error "Access Denied "
even though I have never changed password, at least not I am aware of.

Welcome to Darwin!
[Hisako:~] hisako% /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysql -u root -p mysql
Enter password:
ERROR 1045: Access denied for user: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]' (Using password:
YES)
[Hisako:~] hisako% /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysql -u root -P mysql
Welcome to the MySQL monitor. Commands end with ; or \g.
Your MySQL connection id is 2 to server version: 3.23.55-entropy.ch