At 08:28 06-04-2003 -0400, Devon Y. wrote:

[Hisako:~] hisako% /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysql -u root -p mysql
Enter password:
ERROR 1045: Access denied for user: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]' (Using password:  YES)

This is the same thing that was happening to me! Then I discovered that my root password was not set, even though I did everything that was supposed to do, according to the manual.

The manual tells you to set a root password.
You wrote:
C:\mysql\bin\> mysqladmin -u root password onyoung
If it's the same on windooz as on Linux then it should be:
mysqladmin -u root -ponyoung
Don't know what good it would do to just run mysqladmin like that but that's how it should look like.. But perhaps there is a difference between the Linux and the windooz version..

If you really messed up you can reset the mysql root password:
http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Resetting_permissions.html

Have fun,

B.