Oooh, just dawned on my.  On the windows side there is a gui front end
called mysqlfront which uses ODBC to talk to multiple databases.  It will
pull the data from a mssql server and move it to a mysql server.  I haven't
used it against a mssql server, but I did use it against an access database
and it worked quite well.

Curtis