Taken from manual:

mysql> GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON *.* TO [EMAIL PROTECTED]

    ->     IDENTIFIED BY 'some_pass' WITH GRANT OPTION;

mysql> GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON *.* TO monty@"%"

    ->     IDENTIFIED BY 'some_pass' WITH GRANT OPTION;

A full superuser who can connect to the server from anywhere, but who must
use a password 'some_pass' to do so. Note that we must issue GRANT
statements for both [EMAIL PROTECTED] and monty@"%". If we don't add the entry
with localhost, the anonymous user entry for localhost that is created by
mysql_install_db will take precedence when we connect from the local host,
because it has a more specific Host field value and thus comes earlier in
the user table sort order.

-----------------------------

The above implies you should have 2 permissions for every user,  i.e. one
for
local and one for %

Is this really necessary?

We have root user and one other user called mark.  A lookup therefore
shows 4,  2 for each:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Should we really have 2 permissions for every user?.  Doesn't the root just
need access to localhost only?.