I might be wrong, but the first thing I always do immmediately after
installation is delete any  anonymous user. There is really no need for any
extra account from security point of view.

This also means that one entry f.e  [EMAIL PROTECTED] would be enough as the "%"
contains
any host (including the localhost).

Anybody, please correct me if I am talking rubish ;-)

Best regards

Nils Valentin
Tokyo/Japan

2003年 5月 29日 木曜日 03:45、D Crompton さんは書きました:
> Taken from manual:
>
> mysql> GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON *.* TO [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
>     ->     IDENTIFIED BY 'some_pass' WITH GRANT OPTION;
>
> mysql> GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON *.* TO monty@"%"
>
>     ->     IDENTIFIED BY 'some_pass' WITH GRANT OPTION;
>
> A full superuser who can connect to the server from anywhere, but who must
> use a password 'some_pass' to do so. Note that we must issue GRANT
> statements for both [EMAIL PROTECTED] and monty@"%". If we don't add the
> entry with localhost, the anonymous user entry for localhost that is
> created by mysql_install_db will take precedence when we connect from the
> local host, because it has a more specific Host field value and thus comes
> earlier in the user table sort order.
>

> -----------------------------
>
> The above implies you should have 2 permissions for every user,  i.e. one
> for
> local and one for %
>
> Is this really necessary?
>
> We have root user and one other user called mark.  A lookup therefore
> shows 4,  2 for each:
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>

> Should we really have 2 permissions for every user?.  Doesn't the root just
> need access to localhost only?.

Valentin Nils
Internet Technology

 E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]