> The way I was taught, in my limited education, was simply to have, say,
> the people_id also appear in table2 as a Foreign Key, that tis would
> serve to relate the tables.  Now I've been advised that the way to do
> this is NOT like that, but to have a third, linking, table

In my opinion, you've been wrongly advised.  I would follow your original
instinct and use a one->many relationship for people to machines.  Using a third
table is just going to complicate things and goes against the concepts of
normalized data.

Edward Dudlik
Becoming Digital
www.becomingdigital.com