Hi Ted,

I believe that there is no easy right wrong answer here. Your question is to
general to be ale to answer it correctly. The correct table format depends
STRONGLY on how you want to use your data and which SELECT requests you will
use.

It might make sense to put all data in 1 table in case you want to formulate a
"simple" SELECT statement - however this will give you restrictions when the
table grows -menaing you might have the same information which you need to
update for originally a single record.

If you split your data so that you use f.e. 3 tables, making sure that each
information is inserted only once than this is absolutely fine in the way of
optimizing your data for the Normal forms (1-6), however this will make a
SELECT statement more complicated as you will need to request the data from
several tables. The advantae would be in case of updating any data record ,
you will have to update this only once, while in the previous sample you will
have to update it several times (time consuming). While this is a complex
topic I would suggest to read some articles from www.devshed.com about
database normalization

Best regards

Nils Valentin
Tokyo/Japan

2003年 6月 2日 月曜日 07:32、Becoming Digital さんは書きました:

Valentin Nils
Internet Technology

 E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]