"Mike Walth" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I have gone through the documentation, and also the archives, and still
> can't grasp why things happen with privileges.
>
> Here is what I am trying to understand and accomplish.  For my own benefit
> I'm trying ot understand the user and db tables of mysql.
>
> If I setup a user with no privileges, but in the db table they have
> privileges, that user can still select, insert, etc even when it is set to
> no in the user table.
>
> A couple questions I have:
>
> What are the differences between the user/db table?

In the table 'user' global level privileges are stored, i.e. privileges on all
databases. In the table 'db' only privileges on the certain database are stored.

> Also for the best security what shoudl I set the privileges to for everyone.
> There are multiple db's on the server, and only one user per db, and they
> only need the basic privilges, i.e. create tables, select, insert, etc.

Give to the users only privileges on the needed databases. For more info look at:
        http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/GRANT.html
        http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Privileges.html

  /  |/  /_ __/ __/ __ \/ /    Victoria Reznichenko
       <___/   www.mysql.com