I am running MySQL 4.1.1-alpha-standard on RH Linux 9. I've found strange
problem with privileges:

mysql> grant reload on *.* to 'fabackup'@'localhost';
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.00 sec)

mysql> grant create, insert, drop on mysql.ibbackup_binlog_marker to
'fabackup'@localhost;
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.01 sec)

mysql> show grants for [EMAIL PROTECTED];
+------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

+------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| GRANT RELOAD ON *.* TO 'fabackup'@'localhost'
           |
| GRANT INSERT, CREATE, DROP ON `mysql`.`ibbackup_binlog_marker` TO
'fabackup'@'localhost' |
+------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
2 rows in set (0.00 sec)

mysql> select * from tables_priv;
+-----------+-------+----------+------------------------+----------------+---------------------+--------------------+-------------+
| Host      | Db    | User     | Table_name             | Grantor        |
Timestamp           | Table_priv         | Column_priv |
+-----------+-------+----------+------------------------+----------------+---------------------+--------------------+-------------+
| localhost | mysql | fabackup | ibbackup_binlog_marker | [EMAIL PROTECTED] |
2004-05-17 13:28:02 | Insert,Create,Drop |             |
+-----------+-------+----------+------------------------+----------------+---------------------+--------------------+-------------+
1 row in set (0.01 sec)

After shutting down the database with:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] init.d]# mysqladmin -p shutdown
Enter password:
040517 13:32:44  mysqld ended

and restarting it with:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] init.d]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/mysql start
[EMAIL PROTECTED] init.d]# Starting mysqld daemon with databases from
/var/lib/mysql

[EMAIL PROTECTED] init.d]# mysql -p
Enter password:
Your MySQL connection id is 1 to server version: 4.1.1-alpha-standard

mysql> show grants for [EMAIL PROTECTED];
| Grants for [EMAIL PROTECTED]                 |
| GRANT RELOAD ON *.* TO 'fabackup'@'localhost' |
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

The create, insert, drop privilege on mysql.ibbackup_binlog_marker has
disappeared but still reported in mysql.tables_priv
table.??????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mysql> use mysql

Database changed

mysql> select * from tables_priv;
+-----------+-------+----------+------------------------+----------------+---------------------+--------------------+-------------+
| Host      | Db    | User     | Table_name             | Grantor        |
Timestamp           | Table_priv         | Column_priv |
+-----------+-------+----------+------------------------+----------------+---------------------+--------------------+-------------+
| localhost | mysql | fabackup | ibbackup_binlog_marker | [EMAIL PROTECTED] |
2004-05-17 13:28:02 | Insert,Create,Drop |             |
+-----------+-------+----------+------------------------+----------------+---------------------+--------------------+-------------+
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

mysql> exit
Bye

When logon as fabackup cannot even access mysql database.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] init.d]# mysql -ufabackup
Your MySQL connection id is 2 to server version: 4.1.1-alpha-standard

mysql> use mysql
ERROR 1044 (42000): Access denied for user: 'fabackup'@'localhost' to
database 'mysql'
mysql>

Am I doing something wrong here, or this is a bug. I've searched bug
database, but could not find this reported. Any help will be apprecieated.

Thanks,

Aleksandar Mihajlovic
Database Administrator