Richard,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard F. Rebel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Heikki Tuuri" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, June 04, 2003 10:28 PM
Subject: Re: RH 8.0 InnoDB: Assertion failure in thread
122911infilemem0pool.c line 477

> [...]
might
> > speed up your queries.
>
> Okay, I by looking at that text, I found two tables with TEXT columns
> and then selected for the data that showed up in the error log.  I found
> the following two columns that match.
>
> mysql> select * from RATINGS_WHENU where FEEDBACK like '%first order was
> very late%'\G
> *************************** 1. row ***************************
>           ID: 180
>         SITE: 144
>    CLIENT_ID:
> 3LR0ZynFKovQmeffNkvFgfzrfB/d5b49a1512559abbd41350cfa46e4a61
>        STOCK: Y
>     NAVIGATE: Y
>       TIMELY: N
>        AGAIN: Y
>     CUSTOMER: Y
> ENTERED_TIME: 2001-01-22 01:40:17
>     FEEDBACK: first order was very late.
> second, was on time.
>  LAST_UPDATE: 20010122014017
>         MEET: Y
>    CONTACTED: Y
>     COMPLETE: Y
>    SELECTION: Y
>      PRICING: Y
> 1 row in set (0.01 sec)
>
> mysql> select * from RATINGS_WHENU where FEEDBACK like '%TOO SLOW%'\G
> *************************** 1. row ***************************
>           ID: 247
>         SITE: 221
>    CLIENT_ID:
> KiAqHyjJGsvQmefvzfnrfNkrBC/1f856f57cb8bb2e77734a855460a505c
>        STOCK: Y
>     NAVIGATE: Y
>       TIMELY: Y
>        AGAIN: Y
>     CUSTOMER: U
> ENTERED_TIME: 2001-01-29 11:43:27
>     FEEDBACK: The site is just TOO SLOW. Otherwise, well done.
>  LAST_UPDATE: 20010129114327
>         MEET: Y
>    CONTACTED: N
>     COMPLETE: U
>    SELECTION: Y
>      PRICING: N
> 1 row in set (0.01 sec)
>
> mysql> show create table RATINGS_WHENU\G
> *************************** 1. row ***************************
>        Table: RATINGS_WHENU
> Create Table: CREATE TABLE `RATINGS_WHENU` (
>   `ID` int(11) NOT NULL auto_increment,
>   `SITE` int(11) default NULL,
>   `CLIENT_ID` varchar(64) default NULL,
>   `STOCK` char(1) default NULL,
>   `NAVIGATE` char(1) default NULL,
>   `TIMELY` char(1) default NULL,
>   `AGAIN` char(1) default NULL,
>   `CUSTOMER` char(1) default NULL,
>   `ENTERED_TIME` datetime default NULL,
>   `FEEDBACK` text,
>   `LAST_UPDATE` timestamp(14) NOT NULL,
>   `MEET` char(1) default NULL,
>   `CONTACTED` char(1) default NULL,
>   `COMPLETE` char(1) default NULL,
>   `SELECTION` char(1) default NULL,
>   `PRICING` char(1) default NULL,
>   PRIMARY KEY  (`ID`)
> ) TYPE=InnoDB
>
> So perhaps mysql *is* reporting the wrong query.  I was at least able to

actually, it probably is reporting the right query :). It is the TEXT column
`FEEDBACK` text. TEXT is essentially the same as a BLOB.

> I have exorcised the code we have that updates and interacts with this
> table in order to try and cause the server to crash to no avail.
>
> What's next?

I have added some diagnostic code to 4.0.14 which would reveal a leak in the
mutex.

I am also running a simulation of your workload on our SuSE Linux 4-way
server.

select MEET, count(*) from RATINGS_WHENU where MEET in ('N','Y') and SITE
 = '21' group by MEET;
+------+----------+
| MEET | count(*) |
+------+----------+
| N    |      137 |
| Y    |      136 |
+------+----------+

The assertions are so strange that I suspect thread stacks get corrupt. That
can be a mysqld bug, an out-of-memory problem, or a Linux/glibc bug.  An
upgrade to Linux-2.4.20 is recommended.

Also try adding that index to SITE. That changes the query plan and might
mask the bug whatever it is.

> Best,
>
> --
> Richard F. Rebel
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> t. 212.239.0000

Best regards,

Heikki Tuuri
Innobase Oy
http://www.innodb.com
Transactions, foreign keys, and a hot backup tool for MySQL
Order MySQL technical support from https://order.mysql.com/