I think that I would code it into my application.  Essentially, I would
set up Agents on your end so that your customer service folks can set up
companies and administrative users for those companies.  Then let the
companies handle their own users.  Each company would have a database
password and a username/password combo to access their admin section of
the website.

Curtis

On Wed, 11 Jun 2003, 2Hosts.com wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> I intend my online database to be used by 100 or so companies each with up
> to 100 employees.  Each of these employees may add data as required.  I
> don't want to assign one password for an entire company, in case one
> disgruntled ex-employee decides to post erroneous data.
>
> So presumably I need to issue each employee a username and password, then
> remove this when the employee leaves the company (or grant an admin for that
> company permission to do it).
>
> My questions are :
>
> How is the username and password issue best handled when so many potential
> users are involved?
>
> Should a username and password be added to the web form used to add data?
> or
> Should I just use .htaccess to grant usernames and passwords so no
> unauthorized user can access the submission form in the first place?
>
> Which is less resource hungry?

Curtis Maurand
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.maurand.com