I've just started using mySql. I'm an experience programmer with SQL based database, but know nothing about mySql. I'm setting up a single user database to be accessed with some Perl programs, with one main table, which will contain about 3 million lines. I'm running on an Athlon 1250 with 384meg ram, and finding the response time too slow.

Just getting a count of the number of records by typing in an SQL query [not using Perl] takes over a minute, also when access is going on, I can't do anything else on them machine like access the web, it becomes too slow to be usable.

Am I better setting up the database on another computer and accessing it through TCP/IP. I have available a spare machine which is a Celeron 450.