What table type is this?  If it's MyISAM select count(*) should be instantaneous.  If
it's InnoDb and you've got a large dataset (say 1 million+) then select count(*) will
be slow b/c it doesn't store the # of records in the table, thus it has to count
records. MyISAM does store the count so it will be much faster.

>>> Becoming Digital <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 06/13/03 01:49PM >>>
MySQL should have no problems running on your system, and if it runs better on
another box, that would indicate a configuration problem or background processes
clogging up the works.  If you post your my.cnf file, someone here might be able
to rule out the former.

Edward Dudlik
Becoming Digital
www.becomingdigital.com