methinks you have other troubles.  i've been running MySQL on K6II-266 for
a long time and its been running fine serving up several databases with
multiple users.  512MB of RAM currently but it had only 128 until
recently.  Its running Linux (RedHat 7.2).  I recently switched to 4.03,
but it had been running 3.23.nn for quite some time with no difficulties.
I recently upgraded the machine to a K6II-500.  I also have another
machine running a Duron 1GHz along with DNS and Sendmail its also working
quite nicely.

Curtis