# [EMAIL PROTECTED] / 2003-06-17 21:28:12 +0300:
> From: "Kerry Colligan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > I see that 5.x will support triggers. Does anyone have any advice for
> > implementation of triggers on the DB? I will need to be able to utilize
> > them from web applications AND from command-line type interface. Any
> > suggestions welcome at this point. (RH 7.3, MySQL 3.23.56 presently)
>
> Why don't you use PHP or ASP functions on the server-side in Web page code.
> They act like a trigger and you don't need MySQL 5.0 for them. Remember that
> you can benefit from the both servers: MySQL and Web server.

    I think the OP has made himself clear enough: there'll be two access
    paths to the database, and command line use with ad-hoc queries is
    most likely to cause RI damage; triggers are a way to avoid this
    risk.

    I would however (probably) prefer hiding the tables behind a set of
    stored procedures. Usually, they have a few advantages:

    * they don't slow the RDBMS down by triggering the... errr...
      triggers
    * they're stored "precompiled", so you avoid the parser overhead of
      ad-hoc queries
    * you can make them the only access point to the data, allowing you
      to know (or trust :) that there'll be no random problems of the
      "oh wait, I forgot to put WHERE in that UPDATE!" variety