Don Read wrote:

On 18-Jun-2003 Jonas Geiregat wrote:

I'm using php + mysql for my project
I want to get the last insert ID.
I could use the php function mysql_last_id();
but I could aslo use @@identity.
Now some people have advised me NOT to use @@identity, cause it's not save buggy sometimes slow ..
is this true am I better of with the php function ?

Don't use either one.

PHP's mysql_last_id() is stored as a _long; it'll break on BIGINT ids.

If you need to keep the value in a PHP variable, use 'SELECT LAST_INSERT_ID() as id', and retrive it as a string.

also I do my query insert something
after that query I do an other query to get the last insert ID,
if someone else does a insert query between those 2 query's won't that affect my last insert ID and won't I get the wrong one ?

No. The id is per connection. The return value is the last insert performed by your connection.

Regards,

Why did they make select @@identity then ? Is it just cause most other db's have this thing ? and what's the difference between @@identity and select last_insert_id() ?