Strange...

This is what the online manual says in "4.3.7 Setting up passwords":

Passwords must be encrypted when they are inserted in the user table, so the
INSERT statement should have been specified like this instead:

mysql> INSERT INTO user (Host,User,Password)
    -> VALUES('%','jeffrey',PASSWORD('biscuit'));

You must also use the PASSWORD() function when you use SET PASSWORD
statements:

mysql> SET PASSWORD FOR jeffrey@"%" = PASSWORD('biscuit');
<<<<<<<

However in "6.3.6.2 Miscellaneous Functions" it says indeed:

PASSWORD(str)
OLD_PASSWORD(str)
[...]
Note: The PASSWORD() function is used by the authentication system in MySQL
Server, you should NOT use it in your own applications. For that purpose,
use MD5() or SHA1() instead. Also see RFC-2195 for more information about
handling passwords and authentication securely in your application.
<<<<

Whom to believe?

Lian