Not a silly question... we all had to start somewhere...
you can do it during the create table ( primary key )
http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/CREATE_TABLE.html

or after
http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/CREATE_INDEX.html

what indexes do...
  lets say you do ALOT of queries on column user_id in the table user...
 "select * from user where user_id = x" or you sort,join,match on user_id
alot.
Then indexes will use a little more memory and it will make those queries a
little (sometimes ALOT) faster.

However, if you are inserting new rows ALOT vs selects... then indexes might
actually slow you down a little because the database has to write to the
table and then write to the index on each insert...

So you dont want to add indexes on EVERY column... just the ones that you
select or sory on most of the time.

Good Luck

Also check this out for a little help
http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Tips.html