please don't top-post.

# [EMAIL PROTECTED] / 2003-06-27 14:01:58 -0400:
> On Fri, 27 Jun 2003, Roman Neuhauser wrote:
> > # [EMAIL PROTECTED] / 2003-06-20 11:07:09 -0400:
> > > I am trying to compile MySQL 3.23.57 on NetBSD 1.6.1.  I downloadded
> > > pthreads-1_60_beta6-mysql.tar.gz from your site and extracted it to
> > > mysql-3.23.57/  I ran ./configure --with-mit-threads in mysql-3.23.57 and
> > > everything went fine.  However, when I run make, I get the following
> > > errors after a bunch of output:
> > > Making all in mit-pthreads
> > > make: don't know how to make all. Stop

> >     you'll probably make it easier for yourself (at least in the long
> >     run), and help the community, if you update the NetBSD package. The
> >     fix might be as easy as modifying the value of ${DISTNAME} in
> >     /usr/pkgsrc/databases/mysql-client/Makefile.common, but that depends
> >     on how much is the original MySQL source patched in pkgsrc, and how
> >     much it changed between 3.23.49 and 3.23.57.

> I can change DISTNAME in Makfile.common, but then I might not be able to
> uninstall it.  I am relatively a novice, and I don't want to mess anything
> up.

    Is the box just your playground, or is this part of your job? In the
    first case: get ready to screw the system in more than a few ways;
    reinstalling is quite easy. :) I'm serious: you can't realistically
    expect to sustain the first install.

    If the latter is true: you seriously need a spare box to play with
    freely in order to learn the system.

> In order to use MySQL, will I need to download both the client and the
> server?  I don't have a lot of space on my HDD, and I only want to
> download what is needed.

    you don't download anything, the pkgsrc system should do all that
    for you (if I got it right from the pkgsrc documentation... which
    you have already read, haven't you?)

    BTW, this is completely OT for this list, and you should really ask
    these questions on the netbsd-users mailing list. You can subscribe
    to it here: