otherguy (Cameron Wilhelm ) wrote:

Well, keep in mind that although SQL can do a lot in a single statement, it can't always do *everything* required for a business function in one statement.

As I'm painfully aware of, but was hopeful about.

Your hopes were sensible -- I believe that some SQL versions have an 'INTERSECT' analagous to the 'UNION' that would have done the job. (I've never used such an SQL, but I think they're out there somewhere!) It's a pity that MySQL doesn't have this extension.

I can't thank you enough for your time and effort. I should be able to tweak this enough to make it usable.

A pleasure; I enjoy this kind of thing. Besides, after pointing out that other solutions proposed weren't going to do it for you, I felt some obligation to come up with an alternative!

Thanks again. Now I just have to beat up the system guys for making me do this :)

You're welcome. Good luck with it.

Bruce Feist