Thanks for your reply, Nils.

and then I would like you to take a sharp look at whats left, then there should perhaps be something with this part above. Perhaps the " at the very end is not escaped correctly (double) or something similar. The actual SQL statement works perfectly fine.

I thought that, too, but there seems to be no difference between the two statements on Linux and Solaris. Mucking about with commands, however, the following:

eval "/path/to/mysql --user=root --password=****** --socket=/path/to/sock --database=mysql --execute=\"grant all on PlanWorks.* to 'LocalUser' identified by '******';\""
eval "/path/to/mysql --user=root --password=****** --socket=/path/to/sock --database=mysql --execute=\"grant alter , delete , drop , file , index , insert , select , shutdown , update on *.* to 'LocalUser';\""

works on Linux but not Solaris. I'd like not to introduce the complexity of checking for the operating system type and executing a different set of commands. Does anybody know how I can avoid that?