I've been having a little trouble creating users cross-platform. I have a little script that works just fine on Solaris 8 using this command:

eval "/path/to/mysql --user=root --password=***** --socket=/path/to/socket --database=mysql --execute=\"INSERT INTO user (Host, User, Password, Select_priv, Insert_priv, Update_priv, Delete_priv, Shutdown_priv, File_priv, Create_tmp_table_priv, Lock_tables_priv) VALUES ('localhost', 'LocalUser', PASSWORD('******'), 'Y', 'Y', 'Y', 'Y', 'Y', 'Y', 'Y', 'Y')\""

With the obvious changes to make the statement actually work. However, if I move this over to Linux, I get Invalid Authorization Specification errors when I try to connect as LocalUser after a reload, and using GRANT seems never actually to grant privileges (e.g. no "Y"s in the user table). Does anybody know how I can successfully create a user with my script?

~Michael Iatauro